|Required Textbook Package:|
Emergency Care & Transportation of the Sick and Injured Digital Advantage Package. 12th Edition. Jones & Bartlett BU- EMT 12E NVAD with Fisdap Internship Package
At the completion of this course you should be able to:
1. Describe the roles of EMS in the health care system.
2. Demonstrate the professional attributes expected of EMTs.
3. Perform the roles and responsibilities of an EMT with regard to personal
safety and wellness, as well as the safety of others.
4. Perform the duties of an EMT with regard for medical-legal and ethical
issues, including functioning under medical direction and within the scope of practice.
5. Apply principles of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, life span development, and therapeutic communications to the assessment and management of patients.
6. Identify the need for and perform immediately lifesaving interventions to manage a patient’s airway, breathing, and circulation.
7. Assess and manage patients of all ages with a variety of complaints, medical conditions, and traumatic injuries.
8. Apply principles of emergency medical services operations, including considerations in ambulance and air medical transportation, multiple-casualty incidents, gaining access to and extricating patients, hazardous materials incidents, and responding to situations involving weapons of mass destruction.
For entry into the ARES EMT program, the student will be required to pass a basic background check with fingerprints included. Prior to beginning class, students will have to show proof of applicable immunizations, provide a passport style photo, and complete a HIPAA and bloodborne pathogens training with picture and documentation scanned and emailed to the lead instructor’s email address.
Valid criminal background check to include:
• Social security number verification
• Criminal search (7years or up to 5 criminal searches)
• General Services Administration (GSA) list of parties excluded from federal programs
• Office of Inspector General (OIG) list of excluded Individual/Entities
• US Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), list of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN)
• Violent Sexual Offender and Predator Registry Search Immunizations documentation should include:
• Proof of MMR;
• Hepatitis B vaccination or appropriate waiver;
• Negative TB/PPD skin test or Negative Chest X-ray;
• Proof of Varicella vaccine; if no history of chicken pox, or appropriate waiver;
• Proof of Tetanus vaccine or appropriate waiver;
• Proof of Influenza vaccine or appropriate waiver (flu season);
• Current certification of CPR;
• Evidence of training and education in occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens, protective practices to avoid contamination, and procedures for decontamination in case of exposure to infectious materials;
• Verification of licensure and certifications of students.